We serve people living in Sandy Hill only.
If you do not live in Sandy Hill you have the following options:
- If you are a woman contact St. Joe's Woman's Centre at 613-233-4095, ext. 202 for emergency use, or
- locate your food bank by going to:http://www.ottawafoodbank.ca/get-help
Food Bank Donation Needs:
- Canned tomatoes
- Soup - cream soups are a favorite and may be used in many recipes.
- Tomato and pasta sauce
- Meat - tuna, salmon, chicken, ham, sardines, etc
- Milk or powdered milk
- Peanut butter
- Butter or margarine
- Instant coffee, ground coffee, tea, herbal tea
- Juice - Juice boxes or cans
- Sugar, splenda, salt, pepper and other spices like basil, oregano, curry powders, paprika, savory, rosemary, thyme, tarragon, garlic powder, onion powder, fresh garlic
- Beans: black, chick peas, red beans, canned and/or dry beans are welcome
- mac and cheese
- Cooking oil (small containers)
- Toilet paper
- Tin foil
- Dish liquid and laundry soap
- Fresh produce like carrots, onions, potatoes, celery, apples, oranges
If you want to donate food but find it difficult to transport your donations you can send us a monetary donation and we will purchase what you want to donate. For your information: powdered milk is $34.00 per package and we divide it up to share.
How does the food bank work?
It is not easy to make the decision that it is time to reach out for help. Please keep in mind that we are food sharing, and that at one point or another most of us will need help in our lives.
So, if it is your time to reach out for help and receive some food just come to the location that meets your needs best. Bring a piece of photo ID with a proof of address that you live in Sandy Hill and we can register you on site in the Ottawa Food Bank Database
You are allowed to access the Food Bank once a month - because that is the amount of food we are able to share.
You can also check out the Good Food Box at Strathcona Heights (email@example.com) and look-up Market Mobile - a great initiative to help cut our food costs (http://www.marketmobileottawa.ca).