We serve people living in Sandy Hills only.
If you do not live in Sandy Hill you have the following options:
- For emergency use (if you are a woman (Contact St. Joe's Woman's Centre 613-233-4095 ext 202))
To locate your food bank go to :http://www.ottawafoodbank.ca/get-help
Food Bank Needs
- Soup - cream soups area favorite and be used in many recipes.
- Tomato and Pasta sauce
- Meaet - Tuna, Salmon, Chicken, Ham, Sardines, etc
- Milk or Powdered Milk
- Peanut Butter
- Butter or Marjorine
- Instant Coffee, Ground coffee, tea, herbal, tea
- Juice - Juice boxes or cans
- Sugar, splenda, salt, pepper, spices - basil, oregano, curry, paprika, peppers, savory, rosemary, thyme, tarragon, garlic powder, onion powder, garlic
- Beans: Black, Chick peas, red beans, canned and dry beans
- mac and Cheese
- Cooking oil (Small containers)Toilet paper
- tin foil
- dish liquid
Carrots, Onions, potatoes, celery, apples, oranges
If you want to donate food but find it difficult to transport your donations you can send us a monetary donation and we will purchase what you want to donate.
-(Just an FYI: powedered milk is $34.00 per package and we divide it up to share)
How does the food bank work?
It is not easy to make the decision that it is time to go to the food bank. But please remember that we are food sharing, and at one point or another, most of us will need to have help on one sort or another. And most of us, when we are able will be sharing.
So, if it is your time to receive some food, just come to the location that meets your needs best, bring a photo id and a proof of address that you live in Sandy Hill. We register you in a very confidential data base operated by the Ottawa Food Bank, and then you will be a given a shopping assistant as you choose your food.
You are allowed to access the food bank once a month- because that is the amount of food we are able to share.
You can also check out the Good Food Box at Strathcona Heights: email@example.com
And look up Market Mobile, a great initiative to help cut our food costs. http://www.marketmobileottawa.ca/
In Prefperation for Syria and Middle Eastern Food Items Suggestions
- Olive Oil
- Chick Peas
- Mixed Nuts
- Spices: cayenne pepper, black pepper, all spice salt, sumac,
- Herbs: mint, parsley
- Basmati or long grain rice
- Cans of vegetables, peas, beans
- Olives black, green
- Sesame seeds
- Tomatoes, canned, crushed, stewed, paste